Am I ashamed to display such disarray to the world? And such careless treatment of books? I am slowly wrestling the chaos into some semblance of tidiness, not necessarily order. Books do eventually get put on to shelves or stacked into neater and safer piles. I still have a path to the desk and computer - just. It was the same at school. Term would start with everything stacked neatly under the desk lid and by the end of term the lid would not quite lie shut . How to arrange books? Some order them on the shelves by size. Others, so I've heard, by the colour of the binding; the more conventional by subject matter; or fiction by strict alphabetical order by author. Some shelves are for books yet to be read; others for those to be re-read. On my shelves the poetry books tend to stay close to each other probably because I rarely refer to just one one poetry book at a time. the Folio books stay in their slip cases and congregate in their own book-case. I enjoy dusting the books and putting them on the shelves and here is the result:
I make no resolutions simply because a new year rolls round. I'm not a very resolute chap at present. I've a few more pages of the Life of Insects to read before the group gets together to discuss it later this month. I'm awaiting Tove Jansson's The True Deceiver to arrive. This was another work recently read, abridged, on BBC Radio 4.
1 comment:
I so need more bookshelves. Our main one is a built in and is deep, so I've got them already started on a second row on most of the shelves. I'd like to eventually have one that's very similar to the built in, just on the other side of the living room.
How many people attend the book club you take part in?
I received 2 books for Christmas. One is the new book by Barbara Kingsolver, I forgot the title, and the second is the third in a trilogy by Elizabeth Cunningham, "Bright Dark Madonna". I am anxious to start.
Post a Comment