19 October 2009

Is the boy father of the man?

Five years old and the book thing has started. I think the book must have been the property of the photographer. We learned to read from the Janet and John books at school. I not only learned to read but also that books are sensory objects. Paper in daily life is usually quite friable fragile like news-print; proper book paper is durable. I look as though I'm not quite sure about how I should sit; was the chair too high for my short legs? I hadn't yet become obsessive about holding a book firmly by the spine. Not so much smiling as squinting into the sunlight.
Big Mountain, Whitefish, MT. 1996
Forty years on I'm still squinting into the light but I have the beard I always wanted.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were such a handsome little boy!
That is a beautiful view of the mountains there! I've yet to see that much snow. Hopefully, one day, under pleasant conditions I'll see snow that is more than a few inches deep.

Alan Richardson said...

I blush to publish that comment, ThankYou.

The mountains are in Glacier National Park. Yep, deep snow is fine to look at, ski in or snowmobile over; but forget driving.

Alan