played in a filmed retelling of this story of stolen indentity . . . not a problem peculiar to the twenty-first century. Natalie Zemon Davis was a consultant historian for the making of the film . . . and of course the book delves deeper into the documentary evidence of the story.
Blogging Break
-
I'm taking a break from blogging, for two major reasons :a. I find it
hard to concentrate on chosen topics, while there's war and tragedy going
on in m...
1 year ago




3 comments:
This may be a silly question.(or few;) Do you own a bookstore? If not, how many bookshelves do you have? Do you read the books you post? Or is it just to share with us?
It is rare that I recognize a book or author that you post. I feel a little bad about that. Maybe it's just my age and Georgia education. I didn't finish college, either. That probably doesn't help..lol.
I'm hoping that one of the new books you show me will 'pop' to me and will suit me.
No silly questions . . . I have helped out in a used book-store for the last year and three quarters. It is now closed. I didn't have the where-with-all, or the blessing of my wife, to take it on.
The books on the blog are from my personal collection. Mm . . . I have fifteen book cases averaging about three feet width with five shelves each. That's about 225 shelf-feet and say about eight books a foot that comes to 1800 books, a very small collection; and that includes my wife's collection of children's books and text and reference works. That's not counting the books on the floor. I have no system for storing them for retrieval and I have read most of them, some more than once. A few remain unfinished, and many have been lost in moves as well as through selling and not having lent books returned and I'm sure I have a couple which I borrowed and did not return to their owner . . .
I think the last newish book I read was The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich published last year.
I have the complete (contemporary)GRANTA numbers 1 to 108 Chicago, a literary mag; that's where I read most new travel writing, essays, fiction, non-fiction and occasional poetry.
Alan
I have read some of the Granta as well. It was a few years ago. I think I donated them to a yard sale or goodwill later though. I usually kick myself later for doing so, though.
My collection might be that big if I'd not given so many away over the years. I worked at a new book store that closed, too.
I got to decover a lot of books for disposal. They do that with paperbacks. The books are thrown away and the covers are mailed back to the publishers. I would keep the books I wanted. I hated throwing good books away.
My mom kept a subscription to Issac Assimov's (spelling of his name?) sci-fi magazine when I was growing up. It had wonderful short stories and poems and such in it. She would also get another one that I just can't remember the name of.
I really want to post some of my own books, like you are doing. I haven't because I didn't want to seem too cheesy or eager. How silly is that...approval seeking online. I think I will, it will be good for me to not worry so much what someone might think.
Post a Comment