05 October 2009

A Found Week-end . . .

     Kathy's parents spend each summer at Burro Mountain Homestead. They usually visit us each spring and fall on their travels to and from Desert Hot Springs, CA. Kathy's eldest sister and her husband spend their  winters in Las Vegas and stop by on their journeys to and from their summers at Burro Mountain. This autumn their visits with us coincided and whilst Kathy's parents looked after the cats we took the opportunity to get away to Lyman Lake State Park which is not far from St Johns, AZ. Frank and Karen joined us.

     Isn't it always the case that locals rarely visit nearby tourist attractions? People from the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix) visit the mountains regularly in the summer months to fish, camp and hike and in the winter months to ski or hunt. There are archæological digs to explore; the Petrified Forest National Park is just up the road. there are local hunters and fishermen to be sure. I'm often asked if I do these things which seem to be expected of you if you live in the White Mountains. But I do ski, just not so often now, and I do like to go camping (no longer under canvas) and walking in the woods and by lakes and streams.

     I need to verify this but I am lead to believe there are only two natural lakes of any size in Arizona. All recreational waters are on lakes created by damming streams. Lyman Lake is one such. For the past three days we've been relaxing, crocheting, playing music, fishing, walking and taking pictures, admiring the full moon through a telescope, catching glimpses of wildlife and just generally taking time to do something a little different from the quotidian round.



Friday night jam with Frank: Red Haired Boy (hornpipe)

     Each evening we relaxed round the campfire and watched the sky whilst the sun set and the full moon rose.

A fuzzy shot of the rising moon.

     The rising sun the following morning. At this time of the year it gets quite windy too. And it did blow. This is also the time of the year for tarantulas to be on the march finding shelter for the coming winter and we saw a few. Rangers are happy when we don't indiscriminately kill the local fauna from fear.


One unlucky angler . . . but the ladies were productive crocheting and chatting.



     Did I mention the fourteenth century pueblo ruins? Much of the site is covered to preserve what remains after the looting of the white man. Ancestors of the Zuni and Hopi or the Mogollon people or perhaps the Anazasi built these dwellings along with a sacred kiva.


     An immature buteo possibly a Swainson's or a red-tailed hawk, I'm not an expert.

     A snapshot taken on one of my walks . . .


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy ya'll are enjoying yourselves!
That IS a red tailed hawk, you are correct! I love those beauties! A native american gave me one of their tail feathers in appreciation for a gesture I made him at a powwow. I still have it wrapped up. The birds of prey are my favorite of all the birds. They are so intelligent...they just speak to my soul.
You could submit that photo of the hawk to a bird site, it's very good!
It's so beautiful there, thank you for sharing!

DUTA said...

Great pictures! I liked all of them
the moon and sun rising, the three ladies, the Friday Jam, the archeological ruins...

Alan Richardson said...

Thank You: I'm more often driving along the highway when I see birds of prey, and they are usually red tailed hawks. I was ambling through the park at about ten miles an hours and didn't see the hawk until I was a few feet away. I missed a great shot of him against the sky when he (or she?) flew from the first post to another and then perched until I was about twenty feet away.

DUTA: I went a bit snap happy this week-end . . .

Alan