23 September 2009

From the bookcase 33

 
My old paperback copy was worn out and this recent translation by Mark Harman is a good replacement. Schocken, 1998. Amerika, The Trial and The Castle share the fate of being unfinished; they were published after K died at a tuberculosis clinic in 1924 aged 40.

3 comments:

backstreeter said...

I love the Trial and The Castle. I have just read the Castle while on holiday in Prague. I'm glad they don't end because they can't end. The need to make a plausible ending has ruined too many good books. By the way I have 'I Want' on order from our local book store. £8 in good condition.

Alan Richardson said...

The only European capitol I've visited, besides London, Dublin and Edinburgh, is Paris and then only briefly. I have the impression Prague is a wonderful city or is it just the historical resonance of the place? Yes, I don't think anyone would dare mess with K especially as there are papers and notebooks which might still be found . . .

Enjoy I Want. I now have a growing pile of books to be re-read books.

Alan

backstreeter said...

Hi Alan, Got 'I Want' now and I see from the first page he has plenty of reason. I have none now. Maybe I did have a few years ago. But not now. Another book on this theme that I love is 'Love in The Time of Cholera'. I'm rewriting the blog now because it was too personal. It was part fiction before and will be mostly fiction this...