16 April 2009

Life on hold

Travelling, when not undertaken very much, I find a little nerve wracking. It's the preparation and ensuring all documentation is current and correct; the fear of arriving at the airport only to discover your passport is in the other coat pocket; the idea of sitting in an aircraft for ten hours or so . . .

. . . No, I enjoy travelling really . . . just so long as I have a window to stare out of, even if it is at 37 000 feet; even if it is dark; even if there is only the ocean below or prairie or tundra.

When I was little trains were the way to go, and the top of double decker 'busses the way to see the road ahead. Travelling in a motor car was a novel treat.

Life is often described as a journey. Something a little more involved than mere travelling. A journey means stopping and taking notice, taking detours, getting lost and finding one's way again.

No comments: