21 December 2009

I walked this

morning along the Little Colorado river, part of the Becker Lake riparian wildlife area. I remembered my camera to take some snapshots . . . here are some of the results.



 


 
 

Life  is often described as a journey.  On this journey we experience many things and collect mementos, items which may not have any intrinsic value but are  valued none the less as reminders of past events or people we have known who have made the journey lighter.

    Along the way we fall in with companions who share the journey.  Geese fly in company when they journey south from northern climes in the autumn to warmer areas, avoiding the wintry conditions further north.  They fly in a 'V' formation.  They do this because the beating wings of the leading birds creates lift for those behind.  The flying range of the flock is greatly increased over that of a bird flying alone.

    People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

    Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone, and quickly gets into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.

    If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are going the same direction as we are.

    When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back into the formation and another goose takes the lead point.  It pays to take turns doing hard jobs.  The geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

    What do we say when we 'honk' from behind?

    When a goose falls out of formation and goes to ground because it is sick or injured two other geese will follow it and stay with it until it recovers or dies.  They resume their journey with another formation or catch up with the original group.

    If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other like that.

    I found this story amongst my school notes, a much copied anonymous piece, one of those mementos imbued with extrinsic value if only the analogy can be learned and put into practice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I'd stand by others or not. I want to say I would. But do we ever really know. I hope so.
I love this one, Alan. I shared it with someone special to me.