29 November 2009

Reading group


The reading group I belong to has read these books over the last five years:

Love in the Time of Cholera       Gabriel Marquez*
Waiting for the Barbarians          J.M. Coetzee*º
God's Bits of Wood                      Sembene Ousmane
The Cave                                      Jose Saramago*
My Year of Meats                         Ruth Ozeki
Blood Meridian                            Cormac McCarthy~†
End Zone                                      Don Delillo~
The Maltese Falcon                     Dashiell Hammett
The Silent Cry                              Kenzeboro Oe
Under Milkwood                          Dylan Thomas
Lolita                                            Vladimir Nabokov
The Master and Marguerita          Mikhail Bulgakov
The Quiet American                      Graham Greene
The Namesake                               Jhumpa Lahiri†
Black Rain                                     Masugi Ibuse
Henderson the Rain King              Saul Bellow*~†
Miramar                                        Naguib Mahfouz*
Snow                                             Orhan Pamuk*
Free Fall                                       William Golding*º
The Waves                                     Virginia Woolf
Family                                            Pa Chin
As I Lay Dying                               William Faulkner*†~
Ceremony                                       Leslie Marmon Silko
A Confederacy of Dunces              John Kennedy Toole†
The Kite Runner                             Khaled Hosseini
Whose Body?                                  Dorothy L Sayers
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly   Jean-Dominique Bauby
The Known World                          Edward Jones†
Lost City Radio                              Daniel Alarcon
Our Man in Havana                       Graham Greene
The Sirens of Titan                         Kurt Vonnegut
The Brief Wondrous Life of
Oscar Wao                                     Junot Diaz†
Empire Falls                                  Richard Russo†
Silence                                            Shusaka Endo (Tanizaki prize)
A Mercy                                          Toni Morrison
Everything that Rises must
Converge                                        Flannery O'Connor
The Plague of Doves                      Louise Erdrich
Beyond Black                                  Hilary Mantel


*Nobel Prize for Literature
†Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
~National Book Award for Fiction
°Booker Prize for Fiction

 and we'll be discussing Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout next week. I've not read some of the books on the list; and of course I've read others on my own . . .

ADDENDUM: Round Valley Book Group now has a blog

2 comments:

backstreeter said...

No, but Love in the Time of Cholera, top of the list, was probably my favourite ever book until I saw a film interpretation and realised how somebody else saw it. So it always good to get other viewpoints in a reading or writing group in order to get beyond yourself.

Anonymous said...

I'm not in a book club either. Though I would love to find one.
I wanted to say that I enjoyed Love in the Time of Cholera as well. I read it years before I saw the movie, so the book wasn't fresh in my mind when I saw the movie, and I was able to enjoy the movie more.
I really enjoy Marquez' work. I also like Vonnegut, though I've not read that piece.
If you ever want a fun piece to read let me know.