They were hiding behind other books. And yes I do have editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy there are so many of those in various clothing, even a Folio Society edition . . . And a correction on the sizes: The Hobbit and Tree and Leaf are Crown octavo; and Smith of Wootton Major is Small Foolscap octavo . . . not that anyone is the least bit interested in old book sizes, are you?
And just as a bonus for the musically inclined: Donald Swann set many of the songs in the books to music. The foreword by Mr. Swann begins: I was playing over the songs in this book to Dick Plotz, the President of the Tolkien Society of America, and he said, "It must be hard to write new tunes for these poems when there are already existing ones." I was nonplussed by this for a moment, and there was a short silence. "Where?" I said. "In Middle-earth," he replied.
And just as a bonus for the musically inclined: Donald Swann set many of the songs in the books to music. The foreword by Mr. Swann begins: I was playing over the songs in this book to Dick Plotz, the President of the Tolkien Society of America, and he said, "It must be hard to write new tunes for these poems when there are already existing ones." I was nonplussed by this for a moment, and there was a short silence. "Where?" I said. "In Middle-earth," he replied.




No comments:
Post a Comment