
About 1990 that is. With my meanderings about the web and thinking of past interests I came upon some steam engine sites. Traction and railway. I have quite a few snaps of shots I took at the Weeting rally in about 1990. I have spent nearly all my spare time today scanning and labelling photos to upload to Flickr dot com. Steam engines fascinated me when I was little and I liked nothing more than to go down to the station to watch shunting work; or to go and sit with the level-crossing keeper and watch the signals and marvel at the new Britannia's pounding up from London hauling passenger trains to Norwich. At the library I would find all the railway books and look at the pictures of these powerful beasts snorting smoke and steam. Later, when I could read, I would read all the stories of railways in The Railway Lovers' Companion.
Mr. Button was one of the local council workers who looked after the steam roller at the local works. He built a working model. Mr Banyard was another engineer who build several working models of traction engines.




No comments:
Post a Comment